A bit of NINJAM (Read 51398 times)

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
Instruments: trapKAT
A bit of NINJAM
February 03, 2008, 05:00:34 PM
Thought I'd share this jam far and wide.  (And I've updated my sig here to point to it, too :).)

TrapKAT playing ns_kit7 Rock Kit, Sticks, Wires on, No XF hi-hat.  And a bunch of other folks playing four bars ahead of me in that quintessentially intervalic way that NINJAM has it.

Yes, it's 20 minutes long and yes, it was worth it :D.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:17:55 PM by pljones »

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#1 Re: A bit of NINJAM
March 29, 2008, 01:55:13 PM
(Sig's been pointing to a different jam for a while...)  Any way.

How about something different: In this, I finally got around to playing with stacking stuff.  Weird noises, basically.  MIDI drum triggers and melodic instruments aren't the best of friends.  I guess I'll set up a kit with a more tuned approach (mm, can different notes go out on different channels off the same pad?  <edit>No, so that's not going to happen then!  Be nice if each stacked note could have its own channel, too...</edit>)...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:19:15 PM by pljones »

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#2 Re: A bit of NINJAM
April 01, 2008, 01:21:25 PM
Heh, not me!  My parents, maybe..!

Somewhat more normal... :)

Or if you like the weirder, try this excerpt.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:21:10 PM by pljones »

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#3 Re: A bit of NINJAM
July 10, 2008, 01:57:08 PM
Oh yes.  It's not that I've not been jamming lately -- quite the opposite.  I've changed my sig to point to my jams page.  That's the better stuff: of course, as it's all live and no one's got any kind of control of what's happening, "better" doesn't necessarily mean that good! :)  But there are some really nice sets in there.

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#4 Re: A bit of NINJAM
February 26, 2009, 02:27:52 PM
You can now subscribe to my jam page to get the latest posts.  I've also put up individual stream links for each set and a "one big stream" link.

Also, if you had bookmarked the old page, please note the change of address...  I should really put up a "this page has moved"...  (TODO...)

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
Instruments: none listed
#5 Re: A bit of NINJAM
June 26, 2009, 07:19:30 PM
Are you talking about ninnjam or DK functions ? With my Mapper I can send a 16 note stack to 16 different midi channels---Too bad Frank Zaappa was the only person @ NAMM show to want a mapper. That's why it didn't sell--nobody could figure out what it did. I demoed it & I couldn't program the Mapper -- the inventor helped me set up the kits !!  I just told him what I wanted on each pad .   orb.

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
#6 Re: A bit of NINJAM
June 27, 2009, 09:57:54 AM
Heh, not me!  My parents, maybe..!

Somewhat more normal... :)

Or if you like the weirder, try this excerpt.

for some reason these links to your jams are either broken,expired,deleted....something?

also, were there other posts on this thread that were deleted? or were you talking to yourself? I'll bet it was some (old) gmbydmit posts at one time....

How's Ninjam doing....updated? still working out well for you? anyone ever checked out ejamming.com?

vindrums

more
Instruments: none listed
#7 Re: A bit of NINJAM
June 27, 2009, 12:18:57 PM
    Sorry to laugh again gd, but I just can't help but to picture and hear EMurphy  (as 'old' gumby) telling the story.......They took my posts, they eliminated my history, and rights' to manufacture were redistributed, it was one of the lowest points in gumbys life.....it's like a good part of your online persona that you couldn't make up! You definately need a footnote!
   BTW PLJones, different notes can have their own channel, and choice of left and right......if you have a DKAT. Sorry if this is for another instrument. It's hard to keep that straight....except for the couple guys that have one of everything.
Vince

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#8 Re: A bit of NINJAM
June 27, 2009, 01:27:29 PM
gymby... I don't think I was talking to myself.  I do it, but I don't think I was here.  So yes, you should have some posts back! ;D  Oh, and thanks -- I've rerouted the links through my magic redirection page so now you should get M3U streams when you click them.  (The hosting server for the links had a reorganisation a little while back.  Next time that happens, I just fix my magic redirection page and all is well...)  Lots more jamming here (the magic redirection page pretending to be a static web page).

I've not tried ejamming.com; playing with unpredictable network latency would be nasty.

Vince: Don't think the the TK can pick between the two output ports -- and I've only one input port to wire up to.  I've just started using it multi-channel (one triggering a step-sequencer, the other with my kit on... only to find my PC isn't quite up to it...).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:29:51 PM by pljones »

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#9 Re: A bit of NINJAM
June 27, 2009, 03:23:37 PM
OK, I just tried installing the ejamming.com software and signing up.  It crashed.  Twice.  So I uninstalled it. :)

You also need 250MB/s uplink (and downlink) speed per person jamming.  (NINJAM needs about half that per stereo channel, plus downlink of 160MB/s per person.)  Given my uplink speed, I could only jam with three others on ejamming (whereas I've managed about eight on NINJAM - my CPU gives out before my bandwidth, I think).

I did some research on ping times.  I'd be able to jam fairly okay with people in the UK and France.  But further afield than that (e.g. Ireland or Italy) and it starts getting dodgy (over 50ms ping time, one way).  Anything over 20ms can throw your timing (and that limits me to < 50 miles of London).  I did a few "long range" tests, too: much of the US would be restricted to one or two others playing due to uplink speed restrictions; San Francisco was 201ms at 5350 miles away (if you say five words a second, 200ms is one word); Tuscon was 380ms at about the same distance; Yokohama was 292ms but the transfer speed was so low it would have been impossible; Auckland, New Zeeland was 0.6 seconds and 11400 miles away and barely had enough bandwidth.

ejamming is an interesting idea but it severely limits the people you're going to meet.  And then they want to be paid on top of that!  It's not even as if they're supplying any bandwidth - it's a peer to peer model.

NINJAM itself is working well, I'm just getting frustrated - I want to make music and so many of the guitar players just want to make noise (or "solo", I think they'd try to call it).  And nearly everyone's a guitar player.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:38:31 PM by pljones »

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#10 Re: A bit of NINJAM
June 27, 2009, 09:22:44 PM
OK here's another thought (in addition to the bad idea about ejamming.com)...no seriously, I did try it when it first came out and was so frustrated with it...that I got pissed and bailed.. >:(

I just thought maybe, the NEWER ejam deal would've come up with a better plan, but apparently not.. ::)

so maybe this is another temporary fix to our live jamming with others via on line dilemma:

something like musicianscollaboration.com or kompoz.com

but only it's done here, via the KAT forum...we trade off parts...somebody records a part, uploads the file, the next guy (or girl) downloads, adds to it, uploads it again...etc,etc,etc

I use savefile.com, but I'm sure there are better file sharing sites (for those big wav and wma and mp3 files)...

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#11 Re: A bit of NINJAM
June 28, 2009, 06:32:29 PM
I've just posted up a few "new" ones on my jam page.  The third one on 31 May I particularly like as, listening to it, you'd hardly believe there wasn't more of a link between the guitarist and me than a four bar delay!

Yeah, when I heard they were trying a peer-to-peer model to cut latency further, I thought it might work.  Shame I can't even try it, really.

I couldn't get anywhere on musicianscollaboration.com - no info without signing up for something always puts me off!

kompoz.com looked interesting, though.

My monthly bandwidth allowance is something like 300GB - I use under 1GB! -- and I pay about $30/year for it.  I can hack PHP scripts up a bit too, so I might give it a go...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:39:07 PM by pljones »

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#12 Re: A bit of NINJAM
September 12, 2009, 04:22:20 PM
I've recently splurged some hard earned (and difficult to spare... shhh...) readies on some new samples.  One of the kits is called "Popsticks" from Analogue Drums (link to specs; hope it's okay, Mario).  (They like lots of analogue gear in the sample production chain.)

Here's a 40 minute jam using it.  ("Additional percussion" is someone called "perreko"... I think he's playing around on a real kit -- he knows I'm on a sampled kit and he's giving me room to do my thing by doing stuff he knows I can't ;).)  It's nice and warm but the dynamics are different from the kit I usually use - in addition to there being fewer kit pieces, there are fewer samples per kit piece (and only closed, part open and open on the hi-hat!!).

As contrast, an excerpt from another jam using my usual (ns_kit7, or Natural Drum Kit as it's now sold).

(This is still all on performed through NINJAM.)

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#13 Re: A bit of NINJAM
September 12, 2009, 10:47:37 PM
I'm listening to the 40 minuter right now....cool!

Hey are you using the same computer to run samples, as well as internet, and Ninjam?

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#14 Re: A bit of NINJAM
September 13, 2009, 03:55:54 AM
Yes -- all this "don't run internet and music software together" seems to be bunkum to me.  It might have made a difference in 486 days but even on my old (dead) 2002-era processor I was just about okay.  This new machine is dual core and I get zero problems (on the old machine I would get glitching when an app did a name look-up and on some heavy-weight site).  (I've now been told I'm having this machine taken away... oh no!... and get to buy a quad-core CPU and motherboard to install in my old case :D.)