Alternate Mode Website

News:

AM TV (Read 12386 times)

vindrums

more
Instruments: none listed
AM TV
July 22, 2009, 10:52:04 PM
   Everybody needs to remember every wednesday at 7 KAt time until 8 the AM TV show happens. I'm not kidding....when it's 7 on the east coast. the show is on
    Tonight I looked in at about five til, and Mario had already been there for 30 minutes....he was in the middle of a really cool thing using a split board with basically acoustic guitar on the bottom and vibes or/and marimba on top. Just beautiful!! Sounded like two jazz guys going at it! Then he did some of his looper stuff which is very entertaining....so diferent from my attitude about not using loops and motifs and sequencing, but still something worth seeing. He ends up with full and entertaining songs...he's really good with the looper. OMB on a different level!
   Tonight was very special, as he actually got out a throne and sat down and threw down on the TrapKAT and the DrumKAT! On the Trap he spent some time going back and forth and A-B- ing three software sample choices. I'm starting to understand better. Very informative. Then he demo'ed a couple great things. Malletkat (two octave?) above a DrumKAT, with loops on every key of the malletkat (this was also a demo of sounds in another program) all tied with the DK so he could affect tap-tempo. Another whole method of playing songs....
   Then the big ending!!  :o One of the bigger tricks on a Turbo....Control Path Mode! This and soundpath mode are complex controllers in the Turbo. He had a kit set up using the Control Path that was just unbelievably cool  8) It was just fresh and cool and he made controlling it look really easy. I suppose one might have called what he did a mathematical note transposing??? I've experimented with these, but I need to look at them again and try to put this into perspective.
   I'm no typer....two pretty fast fingers....but there's a chat there so you can ask him questions directly. I just like to listen. M's a talented and practiced, and handy mallet player, and his daily practical experience shows, so that in itself is just a joy to watch. Then there's the added attraction of that MalletKAT thingy. :D
Vince

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
Instruments: trapKAT
#1 Re: AM TV
July 24, 2009, 08:06:22 AM
I was lucky when I tuned in to the replay to catch Mario in the process of building the loops up.  Nicely done.

Midnight is a bit late for me to start watching something, unfortunately -- and I always forget to check the replay!  Thanks for the reminder. :)

REF

more
#2 Re: AM TV
July 24, 2009, 08:54:59 AM
Last time I tuned in it was canceled because Mario was out of town or something. I forget alot.

I understood these were going to be archived. have they been?

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
#3 Re: AM TV
July 24, 2009, 11:01:32 AM
Is there a replay if we miss it live ?  I MUST remind myself to start watching-live.Thanks for the reminder.

Being able to watch the premier player of kat controllers is a privilege. And what other co. pres. would do that ? I can't think of any.Plus ,what other co. pres. responds to ANY users ?'s  (?) . Alternate Mode is the best !! Their service is the fastest & best in the whole industry.Thanks AM & Mario !!!!

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
Instruments: trapKAT
#4 Re: AM TV
July 24, 2009, 12:08:50 PM
I think the latest episode keeps cycling on the "live" channel until the next episode comes up.  It was playing what Vince described when I posted earlier.

vindrums

more
#5 Re: AM TV
July 24, 2009, 09:48:43 PM
    There's a chain of videos that play all the time. From time to time, I check in and am always seeing different stuff. They are the more formal videos that M made as well as some special stuff from others.
    I think the plan was to have the shows in the on demand library, but for one reason or another they stopped after a couple weeks. That would be a lot of memory, but it sort of defeats the purpose of the show and chat. Yes it's inconvenient for many of us are still working, and others in bed. You can't please everyone, but they try!
Vince

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
#6 Re: AM TV
July 29, 2009, 10:21:11 PM
AM TV was cool again!

It's always a pleasaure to watch Mario in Action!

Come on guys & gals, we need lots more folks on there Wednesday nights!

;D

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
#7 Re: AM TV
July 29, 2009, 10:49:47 PM
I was so mad for tuning in late tonight.At least I got 5 minutes worth .I saw some friends in there,too.I'm assuming a bunch more were in there.

Who is the head computer geek around here ?.....pl ?.....Dave ? ......others ?....
Who has been on besides Mario ?

So if I : Register or sign up on (Mogulus) Live stream... & I can borrow a computer with a little web cam.  Perch it & aim it at my rig.   Connect (audio ) in & out of my computer.   I'll a need headphone mix & I'll need to hear the forum feed..but I won't want that bussed into my audio out feed. I guess a headset mic into my mixer so I can talk instead of type. Does this sound right ? What am I missing here ?  I have 2 weeks to figure this out. Mario said he'll be in Canada next Wed. So the NEXT wed.  No way to tech this ahead of time. It's either good to go or not .

What am I doing typing here !! I've got to start rehearsing !!! I'm already getting nervous.  Maybe it won't work & I'll get a pass. Can everybody drink a lot of beer that night ? In the clubs people can get a little buzzed & I sound great ! No e-drummers are ever there to 'mess with my brain'. Frank !! the ultimate scrutinizers are coming ! Help ! I need a doughnut !

vindrums

more
#8 Re: AM TV
July 29, 2009, 11:21:07 PM
   You were on the show before you even got there.
    This is like a weekly lesson. I'm starting to understand some stuff. Watching M play makes me want a malletK. And some of the basic tricks the new MalletK has are great!
   I'm wondering if there's a way to use my camera. It's connected to the computer with it's dock. Standing alone it only will do 15 minutes of video, but hooking it up to just watch might work. I'm getting out the book. He pretty much explained how to hook up to Mac and get started. Sounds easy!
  I've only seen one other feed (producer) and it was a bass and a vibe player. But I think he has a few 'producers'
   Once again he started early, went through a bunch of his things. Very little use of looper tonight so another side of solo! I've seen M do about four or five distinct different ways of soloing. Like in the video contest, we all had our niches, and ways our solo act developed. Like our solo charters...but M could be a bunch of different soloists.  A tune/exercise I would refer to as the cowboy tune, literally brought the house down. Very exciting. You could feel the excitement....am I wrong gmbydmt? And the bottom of the bottom is: M plays real nice. Adjusting grips to pull off everything and anything! He really drums on the board! He sometimes repeats a tune every other week or whatever....and we're like: we don't care, just keep playing. I'm/we're just getting it. We (or at least, I) need to see it a couple times and sometimes on this complex stuff, like to have it explained a couple times. Last week I had to look up sound and control paths for the Turbo, to see what I had forgotten about. He pulls off some great tricks.
    Yamaha XS has killer guitars

And always use sys ex!
vince

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
#9 Re: AM TV
July 30, 2009, 01:34:53 AM
Does Mario play other videos on the show ? I was on before I was on ? What ? Is it live or, live & the other kat cat's videos ?

Vince -- I started watching Mario's mallet kat videos last night and it made me want to buy one,too!! Remote brain connection #2 (at least) .They were all so dag good,I kept commenting.I didn't know his settings,but I was worried about it piling up in his in box. I'd already watched almost all of his DK videos a long time ago.I didn't know so much drumming was done on the MK. Mario is so awesome !! Hey everybody --- GIVE SOME COMMENTS IF YOU LIKE IT !! GEE  over 1000 views & not 1 comment. I thought it was a melodic deal mostly. No rules....where did I hear that before......many ...many....sounds.... styles...songs....omb ? does it work ?

When I was 13, I was sweep up boy @ a music store. My drum teacher / store owner offered me a job -- .75 cents an hour worth of equipment ! An offer I couldn't refuse !! I worked a whole summer - full time - & walked away with a set of Jenko vibes. A lot of work for that thing.I think it cost $600. After that ,my crotchety boss gave me a real teacher. A cool college guy. He wanted to teach me classical string quartet music. I couldn't advance quickly with the reading & became discouraged.
And I wanted to rock. I liked Mozart fine,it just wasn't my first choice. 

I've been playing piano for a while now. I did some 4 mallet playing about...a....a....35 years ago.
I'm kind of rusty. I'll need those white bumpers on my MK. I'll probably miss a lot of notes..clank...clank...what sound module was that ? clank..I didn't hear anything.

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#10 Re: AM TV
July 30, 2009, 02:20:56 PM
Yeah, dudes, it definitely was cool, and Mario is a top notch Mallet Player....and a true please to watch playing the MalletKat!

Yeah, I am pretty excited about the whole live video streaming thing...I am going to have to just jam mostly I guess, but I also thought, I could ask some questions of you guys, and maybe you can help me get more INTO the whole programming and set-up process of the Kats. I mean, I think I can play ok, I just am way far behind most of you guys on the whole midi thing...so, please...be patient with me in that regard

It'll be cool...Vince can play we all can ask questions and bug the hell out of him.....Orb can play, and we'll do the same, and then try to find various household items that we can turn into triggers  ;) (just bustin your chops, I'm in awe of your e-set, and your videos)

this camera Mario mentioned and I think it is easy and usb plug and play kinda thing:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RZQZM0/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3984904795&ref=pd_sl_91vaxmilln_e

my (er...my wife's) Sony camcorder has an A/V out...which I'm trying to figure out. Any body know about this kinda stuff? How about how SPDIF in my sound card, will that help in this process or is that just for audio?

yo, Orb-Meister!
I tried the mallet percussion thing when I was a kid and got bored or discouraged or something, and never followed through on it. But, now with the Mallet Kat and limit less sounds available to you, It's just too cool! I'm trying to kinda teach myself some basics (and that process is going slower than heck) and I also talked to an old drum teached or mine and he'll give me mallet lessons again if I want to...time to do so is my major hinderance at the moment.

but, I digress...

This video thing is just what I need...to learn more....keep my focus....It'll do us all some good! It ties to so many other threads...DIY, etc,etc,etc...

I signed up for a livestream account (worried that someone else might try and get the 'gmbydmit' name) :D

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
#11 Re: AM TV
July 30, 2009, 09:27:24 PM
Tim.  The only reason I know about midi is because I started e-drumming even before midi was around.Anybody own one of those (EM-U) purple e-drums ? Or how about a Krg  Drumulator? Or a simmns clap-trap ? I thought it was so cool (1985) when I mounted a (mini cassette player) mic inside my snare & triggered a Smmns clap trap! oooww.   techno...cutting edge.The band thought it was cool too.

In 86 I had an octobad.I didn't own a sound source.My singer had a EM-U SP12 ? (long ago) .That thing cost $3,000.It was a pretty good unit ,back then.You could hear it on songs & commercials for years to come.

Then it happened.My singers friend built a midi mapper-first running in software & then a hardware version.I transported (our demo gear) to the NAMM winter show in Anaheim. I was just a gopher,but I did have an exhibitors badge.Then @ the summer show in Chicago ,I lucked out.I was the demo artist ,along with a key player.It was 1988,& I know the drum kat was @ that show,too.Mario,do you remember that show ? I guess it was Katowski back then ? Were you there ? We had some good demos going @ that show.We already had alts,layers,redefined controllers & all sorts of other features to use.

Here's the deal: I knew nothing....nothing...I couldn't program it.It baffled me.So did midi.But I could play & I knew what I wanted it to do for me.In my next band ,I shared a mapper with my key player.He was a techie & he programmed it for us.Still baffled,(1989).I moved back to St. Louis.By myself,I had to figure it out.It took a while ,but I finally had an epiphany of sorts.Everybody has these.Whether a tricky beat or whatever,all of a sudden you get it.Then you take off.So for 3 to 4 years,I had no clue.It wasn't very user friendly & you had to know midi codes & decimal to hex conversions.It did learn by example,though. (like auto-load).I still wasn't exploiting it,though.In walks genius #3.Chris B. (see the duo show we did in 92).I had another guru. (crutch).

Tim,your still in those early years,right ? Almost nobody speeds through this learning curve.My efforts at playing keys took 3 years & I recently had a break through with keys.I can 'see' the scales in my head.I can't read music.I may start an argument here-- forget about reading music.Learn theory.One of those charts (like Vince mentioned), is all you need. The circle of 5th's.A chord & scale book.That's all.I said this before talking to REF in my first thread.Get free chords & words off the web.Get songs that you know & like.See other thread for the rest of this so I won't go on endlessly.(like that will ever happen).

I'm not a computer guy.If I live stream on the web & that works--another break through.Tim ,like you I need help with these issues.But we have gurus in this forum.Me & Vince & Mario & others can teach everybody about the kats.And guys like pl & Dave & others (sorry to the experts I don't know by name here) can answer our comp. questions.That's why I joined this forum.Give & take.

I've got to go now.Tim gave me a new idea to work on -- The "chop buster trigger".  If I attach a trigger to my jaw...I clank my teeth together...presto- a 5th limb !!

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#12 Re: AM TV
July 31, 2009, 01:42:27 AM
Orb-meister!...

There is no chance in hell of me being Mario's 'co-pilot'...I dont even pretend to be in his league of ability and showmanship...no, really, and Mario, if you read this, I'm not tryin to blow smoke up your butt, but you know it, and we all know it, you are an awesome player....YOU ROCK DUDE! :o 8)

(we're not worthy, we're not worthy) excerpt from Wayne's world...did I mention that the cars on the pole in that movie used to be in my town (where I live Now) of Berwyn, Illinois...sorry I'm off on a tangent

No, I wont be showing or teaching anyone anything...you all will be my teachers. I started taking private lessons around 68 or 69, I've always been an acoustic drummer, but I put music on hold for about 10 years (while in my 20's) to concentrate on my day job (trucking,transportation,logistics,dispatcher)....WOW what a stupid friggin thing to do...I WONT LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN.

got Roland V-drums around 98 (I think it was 98)....dunno TD-7, then Turbo, then TD-10, then TD-20,and so on..blah,blah,blah,blah,blah (yeah that's, right 5 blahs)...just an aspiring e-drummer....plug and play only, safely hiding from understanding how all this actually works....then comes the KAT stuff and I was  like "Holy Shit this is cool" and I've been obsessed ever since.

So, I would like to broadcast live, and have you guys tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what I could be doing differently, or whatever. I may also try and get one of the bands down here in the basement to play a few tunes ...just to do some internet promoting, who knows...

There is way too many good players here, like Vince,REF, Ritchie DeCarlo, jrcel, Dave, Pljones (dont be pissed at me if I forgot to mention ya) :)....just to name a few...those guys, my fiends, (if they get interested and get on the video band wagon) will be the teachers, and that's WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT WILLIS!

just got home from band practice and I'm a little wound up (as you can probably tell from my babbling)
 ;D
Timbo
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:40:15 PM by gmbydmit »

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
#13 Re: AM TV
July 31, 2009, 11:13:47 AM
Timbo-tronic   -  That was what I meant "WE are NOT worthy". And like you "I like to have dinner every night."

Taking a long break from music is always regrettable. I didn't turn on my rig for 3 years -- then Mario announced the contest. NO WAY I was going to miss that.
But I hit my keyboard practice real hard during that time.I knew my composing was severely lacking.I needed that training to try & advance my writing skills for myself & for the "Orb project ".

Much like you,my first private lessons were (age 13) around 1972. (HOLY SHhhhhh),That above post kind of stopped at 92. Orb didn't start until 98.So, since I started using midi in 85, that would be 13 years with midi - at that point.Fast forward to present & that's 10 + more years.So I have @ least 23 years midi experience.

The drum specialty shop I worked @ (1990 era) was more conservative & traditional.I had to beg the owner to stock Kat products.He finally did,& I guess I demoed & sold (guessing) maybe about 20.Maybe Mario even has paperwork to see the actual #'s.It was 'Drum Headquarters " in St. Lou. I left there around 91,though.

We all live in the 'Kat Village' now.We are ALL students AND teachers.Well except Mario - I don't think any of us will be teaching Mario anything new anytime soon.

Speaking of teaching- I mean learning.I signed up for live stream-I think.I don't know what the hey I'm looking at.It might as well be written in Chinese.Instructions,terms I don't know.  I feel  like "Tudor the Turtle. "  " HELP MR. WIZARD !!  "drisal drasel drusal drone ,time for this one to come home."

Maybe Mario will let us load the cargo hold. We can watch in amazement as he ' lands that bird on the Hudson.'

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#14 Re: AM TV
August 05, 2009, 11:04:38 PM
I'm live experimenting now with:

www.livestream.com/gmbydmit

please be patient, if you want to check it out and let me know sound/video quality, make suggestions, etc

first attempt at just the concept