Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

20th Annual Chicago Drum Show (Read 10299 times)

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
April 18, 2010, 10:13:49 PM
Alternate Mode Inc is going to represented at this drum show by yours truly (Tim 'gmbydmit' Newman) and Rob (orbvroomer) Hoover. I am very honored that Mario
agreed to this and I'm also very thankful for Rob Hoover's expertise in Midi / Kats - which will make this all possible. My goal, when making the arrangements
with Rob Cook at ReBeats was to show the cool Kat instruments to the masses and do a little playing / demoing of the TrapKat, MalletKat, and DrumKat to other
musicians. I never claimed to be expert -  no not by a long shot -  that's where Orb comes in for the save, and I'm just an enthusiast excited by e-drums (in
other words, I'm just the dumb drummer who bangs on shit, and Orb is the guy who explains how it's done)

I wish you could all be there, (the list of more qualified KAT folks is massive....Vince,Dave,PLJ,etc,etc....too many to mention and sorry that I can't mention everyone) to REALLY REALLY show how it's done....but I'm a realist....we are all spread out far and wide....so, I know a lot of you cannot -  but those who can come; should. This drum show is very cool.....Lot's of cool stuff, including some top notch artists will perform.....Bun E. Carlos, Danny Seraphine, and Joe Morello to name just a few....

Hope to see as many fellow e-musicians / drummers as possible!

info:  http://www.rebeats.com/drumshows_start_page.html

thanks, Tim ;D

suavekeith

more
  • The Kat's Meow
  • DrumKat 3.8, DKFH Superior, DM5
Instruments: none listed
#1 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
April 24, 2010, 05:40:10 AM
Well done guys, I'm sure you will give a great demo. Wish I could make it over to say hi. Take some pics for the forum.

Have a great show,

Keith

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
#2 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
May 16, 2010, 09:17:27 AM
after Day one, pretty wiped out, preparing to head out for day 2
 :P

We've had a really good response from folks! Today I hope to be even better...

One nice (shot in the arm) was when Jane Boxall (an awesome Mallet Percussionist, who played a clinic at the 2009 Chicago Drum SHow, by the way) stopped by to check out the malletKat..

She liked it! She liked it! Hey Mikey!
so much so, that she came by a second time to jam out again
 ;D

check out her website (very cool videos) http://janeboxall.com/

Rob (orbvroomer) in the back there is an invaluable asset to the AM booth at this show (THANKS A MILLION ORB!)

dave_b

more
  • Extra Special KAT Poster
  • Being funny is not anyone's first choice. W.Allen
#3 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
May 16, 2010, 05:35:11 PM
Wow, well done folks!  Nothing like having the AM stuff out there and 'seen.'  I always feel like a salesman at gigs since people aren't familiar with the TK.  I do get people who recognize Ableton on my monitor, but that's not that fun to talk about.  :)

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
#4 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
May 17, 2010, 01:50:02 AM
Thanks,Dave.  Every mallet player came by to check out MK. (I assume....how would I know if they didn't   ??? ). One kid must have been around 15..17...excellent mallet player.I asked how long he's been playing...he said  "real long". Several older gentlemen players were very interested. (OK ...maybe about my age...of course I stretch a bit for the gentleman description...). Another nice lady want's an MK - said she showed up more than once to sub for people & an MK was there & she played it & loved it.

But Jane Boxall is fantastic & after she gave us a brief clinic,I was lucky to get a quick free lesson...."can you show me the correct grip ? "    She showed me 4 different grips...of course she also plays with 6 & 8 mallets !  So if I had an MK,I would be using the Gary Burton grip.At first,I had the wrong (or uncomfortable)  mallet on top.Once I changed that,I could almost control my spacings.I must have held them way...a long dag time ago...check out the link to Jane's videos.  {Hey Keith - she had a shaker on her leg...& a little tamb on the other ,or something.  Just like your shaker in the the jean cuff,minus the cuff   ;)   } 

We have tons of pics of the whole show & it was an acoustic drummers paradise.Stories & pictures,so expect some more posts,people.Wait until ya hear about Niel Peart's original chrome Slingerland kit..on display....big deal...long accompanying story (ies).Like my stub from April 15th,1976,in st. lou...Ambassador Theatre...section R/C Row 24 seat 105...where I watched the professor play this kit      ;D .....& I saw the next 3 tours..&  Neil used it on the first 3 or 4 records....& for any amount of a donation ( to Cancer Society ) you could sit on the throne & take a pic  ;D.   The handlers were so cool.And if you slipped in maybe a ten spot...they let you solo on it..how freaken cool is that  ?   ;).  I was WAY to out of shape to make a fool of myself on that beast...& since our booth was next door,quite a few good segments emanated from there.

More about TKs & MKs & DKs later.

Tim (Gmydmit ) Newman did all the work to prepare for this.I just showed up,talked a lot & demoed a little.Tim put in a lot of work to pull this off.He is an excellent ambassador for AM & Mario.He had everything organized & ready for the show.We both had a blast.Thanks to Mario for letting us do this show.
I heard something about another show & rumor has it ,future drum may be combined with this other show,September in Ohio.Hope it pans out.

PS : Anybody working on contest videos ?  I have some good cutting room floor segments   :P  Gotta get busy child.   ::)

I need some sleep..........

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety

spottyscotty

more
  • Nothing beats hitting rubber membranes repeatedly
#6 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
May 19, 2010, 04:28:10 AM
Sweeeeeet, Orb!

Hope you gave the assembled masses your very best rendition of "Didacts and Narpets"  :)

Cheers,
Scott

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
#7 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
May 21, 2010, 02:26:00 AM
My didacts were lacking & my narpets were slacking.     :(    I was too intimidated to solo on the kit.And with our booth next door,I heard quite a racket of good playing through the days.

Even back in day..in my best shape.....I couldn't play those flams.  But I flim-flammed it,anyway !  In bands I covered : Trees ( with a 5/4 section) ,Fly by Night ( not Peart ),Bastille Day,plus a couple of others.

I need Tim's picture uploads - I couldn't take a picture of myself at our booth. But Tim has some,I think.My pics are mainly of other booths.

;D
Orb

dave_b

more
  • Being funny is not anyone's first choice. W.Allen
#8 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
May 21, 2010, 11:56:46 AM
Fly by Night ( not Peart )
Actually, that is Peart.  He joined after the first LP.

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
#9 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
May 21, 2010, 01:14:43 PM
Thanks for the correction,Dave. It was 'working man' that was pre- Peart.  The drummer on album 1 ( not 2,with fly ) was John Rutsey.I heard he passed away     :(      from the crew with the Peart kit .   I was gonna say something about Pete Best,but now it seems in bad taste.

I saw Rush live with John Rutsey @ a free concert in Forest Park,St. Louis,Mo.  Kiss was on the bill,too.    

Edit :This is driving me crazy.I'm trying to verify the fact (?) that I saw Rush with John Rutsey in Forest Park in St. Louis. I THINK 1974. I found some links,but still haven't got to the bottom of it.

Tour date archives for Rush :    http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/Tours.htm

It shows August 21 & 23 ,1974 in St. Louis.But is that the KSHE kite fly date. ? They were on tour,opening for Kiss.  Anybody have any more clues ?

This thread is morphing into Rush,sorry guys.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:36:07 PM by Orb Vroomer »

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
#11 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
June 06, 2010, 08:10:34 PM
Lovers of vintage & acoustic drums, here are some pictures from the show - NOT related to AM.  I thought you guys would like these- some bad photos,but mostly good. I just uploaded a bunch. I think I have more - got to get organized. Almost 100 here :

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23800&id=100000152803477&l=1c1d2f7eb7

suavekeith

more
  • The Kat's Meow
  • DrumKat 3.8, DKFH Superior, DM5
#12 Re: 20th Annual Chicago Drum Show
June 16, 2010, 05:13:47 PM
Some nice drum shots in there Orb, looks like there were some tempting kits in the show.