Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

amps. what is a good light weight amp ? (Read 8313 times)

Matteo

more
  • Cool Kat
Instruments: none listed
amps. what is a good light weight amp ?
June 09, 2003, 12:05:13 PM
I just got lmy MalletKat and have been using a peavy kb 100.  It sounds great and has plenty of power but is too heavy to cart around. Is anybody using an amp w/enough power to sound good yet not break your back getting in & out of clubs?

ratdarkprince

more
Hi Matteo,
I work in a large music store and will check with the guys in my keyboard and pro audio departments for a solution to your situation.  Unfortunately, I think I know what they are going to say; that for something to sound good, you need power and power equals weight.  You really don't want to get something without substantial power even if you are playing moderate volume gigs because combo amps (like the one you have) perform better when they are used at a level somewhat below their maximum capability. If you are using the one you have at a very low volume level, then you could probably get away with something a little less cumbersome (and back friendly :)  
I know you posted a month ago but  I am new here and am seeing this for the first time so, if you are still checking for responses on this question, I'll see what I can find out.

MustangMick

more
#2 Re:amps. what is a good light weight amp ?
September 19, 2003, 07:22:44 AM
Matteo,
some of the guys on the Zendrum Yahoo board use Barbetta amps. Pretty light too.

Mick

jrcel

more
#3 Re:amps. what is a good light weight amp ?
October 15, 2003, 09:41:09 PM
Barbetta amps are probably the best in the world and come in a variety of sizes. They are lighter than Peavey keyboard amps with more power. I believe they are bi-amped as well.

FATMACDADDY

more
#4 Re:amps. what is a good light weight amp ?
February 19, 2004, 06:56:40 PM
I DON'T USE AN AMP . I JUST PUMP MY KAT THROGH THE PA. HOW LIGHT IS THAT???  ALTHOUGH I HAVE USED THE 300WATT ROLAND KEYBOARD AMP. IT SOUND GREAT BUT IS A LITTLE HEAVY.. WHJATEVER U USE MAKE SURE IT HAS AN 18 INCH SPEAKER FOR THE BEST THUMP.. 8)

Matteo

more
  • Cool Kat
Thanx all for answering.  What I bought was a SWR LA Series.  It has a 12" speaker and a tweeter.  It's 60 watts and that's all for now that I need.  I've used it at a # of gigs so far and am quite happy w/it's performance.  Very good range response w/the low notes so I get the bottom end of a marimba quite well.

Peace,
Matteo

lanceallen

more
  • The Kat's Meow
#6 Re:amps. what is a good light weight amp ?
September 15, 2004, 02:36:03 PM
I use the powered JBL 15 EONs. It is a wonderful speaker. It is about 35 lbs, I think.

It's versatility is amazing. It has one balanced XLR input and two unbalanced 1/4" inputs. Each with independent volume controls. It also has bass and treble EQ controls. There is a balanced XLR output that you can use to link EONs together.

I have two of these speakers and at some rehearsals and smaller venues I set both up on stands and I can run a mic, my drums, and a keyboard into the speaker without a separate board and it sounds great! I've even ran bass guitar direct to the speakers with nice results.

When I play musicals and chorus shows I use one on a stand that faces me and the rest of the musicians and it is used as a monitor.

Sometimes when I play with my rock band for rehearsal I put in-ear monitor headphones in and plug the drums into the JBLs and the bass player and guitar player use them as monitors for the drums. Since each speaker has independent volume controls they can turn the drums up as loud or soft as they want!

Digital drums are great!!!