Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

Mario's Intelligent Dance Drumming Videos (Read 10184 times)

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
Mario's Intelligent Dance Drumming Videos
November 09, 2011, 08:44:22 AM
most of us have seen these, right?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRdZJXpjqPw&feature=related

if not, you gotta check these out! (A-G)

for me it has really opened up a plethora of questions for Mario or other Ableton Live users

Orb and I have been experimenting with Ableton Live Intro, but I think I'm very deprived of content and capabilities of the full version of Live 8...!!?

anyone wanna get the ball rolling? Surely, y'all can the see the huge potential of Ableton Live and any KAT instrument!

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety

I'm just having trouble figuring out how to assign a specific clip in Live to a midi note #....

in Mario's videos, it looks like specific pads are triggering specific clips within Live....I can see how to assign the whole cell (in session view) to a midi channel, but each clip.....how do you do that?

again, it looks like Ableton Live Intro is lacking a ton of content that comes with the full version

For me, it's just for me, like with the Stylus RMX rave drumming.....what am I missing? specific sysex set ups?

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
found this:

Assigning MIDI Notes Or Computer Keys

Clips can be launched using MIDI notes, either from a keyboard or trigger pads, or from computer keystrokes. Most of the Clip launch modes (all but Trigger) make more sense when you take this option. Assigning MIDI keys/pads or computer keys is very straightforward. First, choose Edit MIDI Map, or Edit Key Map from the Options menu. All assignable objects in Live will turn blue (in the case of MIDI mapping), or an odd pinkish colour (in the case of Key mapping). Click on the Clip you wish to assign, then play the MIDI note or press the computer key you wish to map to it. When you've finished assigning Clips to keys, exit the mapping mode by unchecking it in the Options menu. In addition to its other advantages, using a MIDI keyboard or pads to trigger Clips allows you to use the Velocity (Vel) percentage setting in the Launch Settings box. This alters the volume of the loop based on the velocity of the Note On message that triggers it.

couldn't get it to work though....maybe I was just too tired last night....might have missed something

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
Instruments: none listed
Mario ?  Who else uses Ableton ? The mini version.

suavekeith

more
  • The Kat's Meow
  • DrumKat 3.8, DKFH Superior, DM5
Hi There,

I also have the mini version but haven't been able to figure a lot of it out. It's not totally drummer friendly. Couldn't workout what Mario was doing from the video. The live screen was flashing a lot, wondered if he was just muting and un-muting channels rather than turning clips on an off?

suavekeith

more
  • The Kat's Meow
  • DrumKat 3.8, DKFH Superior, DM5
PS Spotted another nice one on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/SJbvDTM2dDM

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
Thanks  , Keith.  Nice video find , too - I also saw that a while back on a drumkat search on YT.   Still searching for the magic  button , if it's on this version.

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
PS Spotted another nice one on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/SJbvDTM2dDM

that was a good one!
was that dude using Ableton?
this video IMO shows the capabilities of the DrumKat (which has got to be THE most versatile controller ever)

ORB AND I ARE GOING TO FIGURE THIS DARN THING OUT AND WHEN WE DO A VIDEO WILL FOLLOW!

Orb Vroomer

more
  • KAT Diety
" no computer stands in may way ,,,"     - Greg Lake from Brain Salad Surgery.

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
If I am reading this correctly.....then that explains why Ableton Live Intro will NOT do what Mario is doing in these videos....

http://www.ableton.com/pages/live_8/comparison_chart/live_intro

pisses me off that I gotta buy the full version to get Ableton Live to perform properly

It's not that I don't like paying for software.....it's just that 400 bucks every time you turn around sucks!

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
Oh man, this place is just Bustling with activity!
WTF!
anyway, so I sprung for the full version of Ableton Live....after the $99.00 'Intro' version ... another $330 to Sweetwater
YAY!

ya seen these cool videos from Mario's You Tube channel?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarioKATman

check it out, IMO I think a Q&A with Mario and Gina would be appropriate on AM TV!
Is she also using Live? Did she build the loops/clips? A little artist interaction would be very cool.
Tim
 ;D

MarioKAT

more
  • Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
Hi All,

Ok, let's have a AM TV on the whole topic of the textural trapKAT using Live.  How about February 21St, say 7PM?

I can't give away the loops (I don't own them), but I can certainly give away the SYS EX Dump for the trapKAT and the als file for LIVE

Let me know how many of you are up for it.    I'll blast out an email about it as well  (I'll call Gina and see if we can beam her in from Philly

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
I wanted to resurrect this topic, because I still think it is very relevant to us drummers!....While browsing Mario's Youtube videos, I came across the IDD Vids and it sparked some new ideas

Well, if you prerecord your loops, or single shots, etc and have Ableton Live....this is for you!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:29:19 PM by gmbydmit »