Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

Roland CY-R15 and the DITI (Read 5971 times)

soundtextures

more
  • Cool Kat
Instruments: none listed
Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
August 04, 2019, 09:29:58 AM
Hi there,
I just got a Roland CR-Y15 three zone Cymbal Pad and was trying to get it working with my DITI and the Addictive Drums VST. But---no luck ;(
I?ve read the manual several times and watched Mario?s Video on exactly the same setup which worked - but alas - I can get the pad to dampen the sound, but that?s it. Everytime I hit the bell or the bow, both sounds are played - I can not the the crash to sound.

What I?ve done so far:
9A - Pad Type Roland CR-Y Bell (from the website) - slot 1 = Bell sound, slot 4 = chokeNT
9B - Switch - slot 1 = bell sound , slot 2 = Ride Tip, slot 3 = dampened, slot 4 = chokeNT and just for the sake of it slot 5 = dampened
10 A - Pad Type Roland CR- Bow - slot 1 =Tip, slot 4 = chokeNT
10 B - Switch - slot 1 = tip, slot 2 = crash , slot 3 = dampened, slot 4 = chokeNT and so forth and so on...

any idea why I always have both sounds?

anyone ...plz

Thomas

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
#1 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
September 14, 2019, 09:01:25 AM
I know it's been a while since your post, but have you figured this dilemma out?

Tim

Corunography

more
  • Cool Kat
#2 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 07, 2019, 08:20:23 PM
I?m looking for an answer to this too.  Same thing is happening to me!  :/

gmbydmit2

more
  • Administrator
  • The Kat's Meow
  • I have no response to that!
#3 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 08, 2019, 09:28:48 AM
what's your set-up consist of and we'll try to help....module, other pcs, etc

Corunography

more
  • Cool Kat
#4 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 08, 2019, 03:41:17 PM
Hello!

Wow, first off sorry if this message is a bit abrupt.  This thing is driving me insane!  I've been trying for 2 days to get the DITI to work like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3XCt_99Nlc

Can anyone post the configuration used to accomplish this?  The manual is not much help at all.

I can't get the bell or the edge to trigger.  I'm using Addiction Drums 2 to the trigger sounds.  Sometimes if I wack the cymbal really hard it will trigger the bell or the rim, but not in a consistent manner.  How do I train the bell and edge?  I can easily get the bow to trigger but don't quite understand the slots to get the bell or edge to trigger. 

Ahhh!  Help!

THANK YOU!

Corunography

more
  • Cool Kat
#5 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 08, 2019, 06:20:50 PM
UPDATE:  I've loaded the Roland TD30 sysex file from the website onto my DITI.  I then load the TD30 preset within Addiction Drums 2.  The ride cymbal still doesn't work as expected.  It only seems to trigger one sound.  And other random sounds (bongo sounds strangely) when I hit the cymbal super hard.  What could I be missing?

UGH.

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#6 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 08, 2019, 10:13:42 PM
That CY-R15 has two outputs correct....one for bell, and one for bow?

do you have them each taking up a separate input in the DITI?

Mono cables or Stereo 1/4" cables?

Tim

Corunography

more
  • Cool Kat
#7 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 08, 2019, 11:16:50 PM
Hello.  Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the CY-15 has 2 stereo connections on it.  One for the Bow/Edge and one for the Bow/Bell.  That is how it is listed on the back of the cymbal anyhow.  I'm using a stereo cable for each output ran directly into 10 a/b and 11 a/b.

Here are my settings.  I took them from the TD30 sysex file and switched the notes to correspond with the notes in my Addictive Drums session. 

http://avclubvisuals.com/settings_v2.jpg

The only thing I can think of is maybe I am not training them correctly.  Do I train from A or B?  Or both?  Which trains what? 

I really thought this would be more plug and play.  This is so frustrating!  Thank you for the help!!

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#8 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 09, 2019, 01:35:39 AM
I really thought this would be more plug and play.  This is so frustrating!  Thank you for the help!!

The DITI does do much more than most of us drummers need, but I do understand your frustration...

If I ask some stupid questions, dont take offense...

Your pic shows both inputs 10a/b and 11a/b showing note # 63 on the b's....
That's addictive drums note number for the bell? if so, I dont believe it should be on each input (one for bell, one for bow)...

the bow input only for those note #'s...bow, ride, crash, etc...isnt that like actually 3 note #'s...?
the bell input is only for the bell..right..? = one note #, and try a mono cable..one sound one note

also, on the display for 10a....slot 2 is '2 (D-1)'....?? (because according Gen Midi, note D-1 is Note # 14...
(i know Im reaching here)...that might be your bongo sound....?

FWIW
Tim
 :-\

Corunography

more
  • Cool Kat
#9 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 09, 2019, 07:34:32 PM
Hello!  Thanks for your reply.

So #63 is cymbal choke in Addictive Drums.  That is why it appears in both B's.  I followed the same setup from the TD30 sysex file.

Bow/Edge: 
A. Slot 1= Tip Ride - Slot 2= Crash sound -  Slot 3= Off - Slot 4= ChokeAFT
B.  Slot 1= Cymbal Choke

Bow/Bell: 
A.  Slot 1= Tip Ride - Slot 2= Bell Sound - Slot 3= Off - Slot 4= ChokeAFT
B. Slot 1= Cymbal Choke

What I don't quite understand is how it decides which sample to play.  I have never gotten it to trigger on the bell or the edge with this configuration, or any configuration.  I feel like I am not training it correctly.  But how do I train it to know to trigger the bell when I hit it?  When I hit the cymbal the red B LED light never illuminates on the DITI.  When I split the stereo cable into 2 mono cables the B side also doesn't trigger.  From what I've read that is the nature of 3-zone membrane switch cymbal triggers.  They only trigger A.

According to the documentation, it triggers the bell or edge based on a resistor value being reached.  To activate the resistor value in Switch mode you need to enable Dampen mode on, which I have done.  But the number on the right in the photo, which is the membrane switch training value never changes.  It seems the DITI is not recognizing the switch and only playing the bow sound.  Or I am not training the thing correctly.

http://avclubvisuals.com/IMG_0175.jpg

What do you make of this?  What a complicated process!! 

Corunography

more
  • Cool Kat
#10 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 09, 2019, 07:57:03 PM
Okay, and now I am able to get the resistor values to change.  I had to set Slot 4 to ChokeNTE instead of ChokeAFT.  There is still no difference in triggering the bell or edge yet though. 

UPDATE:  And now the resistor values are only intermittently changing when I train them.  I have to hit 2-3 times for the number to change from zero.  VERY WEIRD.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:31:25 PM by Corunography »

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#11 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
October 10, 2019, 12:51:15 AM
The TD-30 sysex...why, are you using a TD-30 module?

what version DITI is yours? (purchased very recently from Alt Mode?)

your signal path is going from Trigger to DITI to a midi interface to your PC or MAC?

I used to have a complete TD-10 set, then upgraded to TD-20, but alas no longer...so, no CY's in the house to test.

soundtextures

more
  • Cool Kat
#12 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
February 14, 2020, 06:11:12 AM
Hi there,
it has been a little quiet from my side the last couple of month due to health reasons.

but anyway...just wanted to let you know, after reading the manual over and over and over, I?ve found a fix for the Roland CY15R problem. Now it works - not as 100% accurate that I?ve hoped for, but 95% is good enough for me right now.

I?ve attached my Kit SysEx. The inputs are 9 (bow/bell) and 10 (bell/edge).

Let me know, if it works for you, too.

best,
Thomas

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
#13 Re: Roland CY-R15 and the DITI
March 02, 2020, 09:29:45 AM
Hey there!
hope your feeling better!