Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

malletKAT soundcard or output noise level issue (Read 5043 times)

schmargle

more
  • Cool Kat
Instruments: none listed
I have a malletKAT Pro KS, and I'm having a problem with a weak output signal and high noise floor for the output jacks. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

I didn't really notice this until I tried to do a recording with some soft passages. The first thing I noticed was that I had to crank up the input level of my A/D converter to get a decent signal. The output is definitely quieter than other keyboards I have. And when I engaged the record button on the DAW, I heard noise, which turned up on the recording too. The noise sounds like computer noise—it's not a ground hum. It sounds more like a hard drive working or something similar. Or maybe like cellular or WiFi interference.

The noise is not terrible, but I can't imagine anyone being able to record anything below, say, mezzoforte, using the internal sounds with this issue.

As far as I can tell, I don't hear that noise when using the headphone jack.

Here's what I've tried to resolve the issue:
—used balanced TRS 1/4 cables
—tried different electrical outlets around my house
—tried different A/D interfaces
—tried different controller volume and internal amp volume (the volume button near the headphone jack)
—turned off WiFi on the computer
—turned off nearby cell phones
—changed the non-converter part of the power cable (I don't have a similar converter, so I couldn't swap that part out)
—used the computer with and without its power cord

None of it made any difference.

And when I search this forum for output level issues and noise issues, I found a two other people with issues that might be related:

http://forum.alternatemode.com/index.php?topic=485.msg2052#msg2052
http://forum.alternatemode.com/index.php?topic=8806.msg20874#msg20874

In one case it seems like the user had a power issue. In the other, it seems to have been solved with balanced cables (which hasn't worked for me).

In the worst case, I guess I could just use the headphone jack for recording (with a cable that could split the stereo signal to two mono cables). But first I'd like to figure out if there's something wrong with my particular unit or whether this is an issue with the soundcard design that is common.

Has anyone had this issue? Any other suggestions for what to try? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:10:12 PM by schmargle »

ton

more
  • The Kat's Meow
You seem to have tried about everything.
Can't help you myself, don't have the equipment to record properly.

You could ask Mario at Alternate Mode

schmargle

more
  • Cool Kat
Thanks, yes, I've asked Mario. I'm trying to avoid sending it in for a check-up. I use it every day!

ChristianW53

more
  • Cool Kat
I have the same problem. I use a DI-Box now. I am still making experiments with little transformators by neutrik to build them directly in ( into the mallet kat) . A problem is the little entry impedance of them, there should be added a resistance of round about > 10 KOhm.  - Furtheron I have changed the ~ connector. I have found one without any zero-connector, so there is coming no hum anymore from the 120 / 220 Volt side.
For recording: reaper has a tool, that eliminates hum perfectly : record the hum , mark that and let this tool eliminate that by difference principles ( + -) . That doesn´t affect the real sound of the instrument.  Hope that helps.