Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

How to reverse Yamaha FC7 foot pedal response (Read 5217 times)

frankinthevillags

more
  • Cool Kat
Instruments: none listed
How to reverse Yamaha FC7 foot pedal response
October 20, 2016, 06:06:59 AM
I bought the recommended Yamaha FC7 foot pedal to use for Expression control as Foot Controller 1. But the min/max response is reversed: With the pedal heel down, it's MAX volume; with the toe down, it's MIN. (This is true for all Curves except #3).

How do I reverse this to get normal response?

Thanks!

ton

more
  • The Kat's Meow
I don't have a FC7 yet, but maybe this part from the manual might help?

TO TRAIN FOOT CONTROLLER ONE / FOOT CONTROLLER TWO
Short Cut = # 8, 9
The response of FootController (1,2) may be set at this screen by training the FootController. If you would like to Train the FootController, strike any pad one more time and release the Edit Footswitch. The malletKAT PRO will sound a continuous beep. You should respond by pressing the FootController pedal to the floor and then hit a pad. The malletKAT PRO will again sound a continuous beep. You should now release the FootControl pedal and hit a pad again. The FootController is now trained and the malletKAT PRO will return to PLAY Mode.

When you set the controller to another expression, like pitchbend, is the action reversed too?

The manual states curve #8 was designed for foot control. Did you try this one?

Did you try the pedal as foot controller 2?

frankinthevillags

more
  • Cool Kat
Thanks, ton. Curve #8 (which is also the default) is the first one I tried.

I'll be away from the instrument for a few days but will try your other suggestions next week and post again.

ton

more
  • The Kat's Meow
I'll probably have a FC7 myself next week, will post my findings.

ton

more
  • The Kat's Meow
Hi Frank,

Our FC7 did arrive and out of the (old) box the behaviour was as you described. With an extra unwanted behaviour: volume was set between 0 and 63.

Fortunately the fix is easy: train your pedal.

Procedure is in the manual on page #59 :
Go to Global #8 (foot controller 1) or #9 (foot controller 2), hit a pad, set your pedal to the MAX, hit a pad, set your pedal to the MIN, hit a pad.

This way you can set the action as you like. Toe down for maximum volume as you like. But the other way around is also possible.
And training of the pedal also fixes the controller range. After training volume can be adjusted with the pedal from 0-127

Hth,
Ton

ton

more
  • The Kat's Meow
Talked today with some (keyboard players) who actually prefer heel down = maximum volume. As did my son.
So it's good it can reversed.

I'm still not comfortable with the settings. For volume, I already set the action from 63-127 because it seems between 0 and 90 the difference to my ears is far less than between 90 and 127

I don't know which curve to choose too. Can't find a description to those. Somewhere it's referenced to a appendix with curve descriptions, but I haven't found them yet.

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
Instruments: trapKAT
What works best will vary with sound source and playing style - that applies to both the range and the curve.  Whilst I understand "use your ears" works well, I do also appreciate some visual guidance to get a hint at what's meant to be happening.

You can also, of course, stick a MIDI monitor on the MalletKAT output, if you have one. and see how it's responding numerically.  Not as intuitive but it's some additional feedback.

frankinthevillags

more
  • Cool Kat
Thanks for the tips, ton.

I tried the "training", as described. It works, but only for Curve #3. All the other Curves (including the default #8 for volume/expression) continue to operate backwards despite the training.

I also find better results using Expression (rather than Volume).