Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

MalletKat sending untriggered "note on" (Read 11179 times)

frankinthevillags

more
  • Cool Kat
Instruments: none listed
MalletKat sending untriggered "note on"
October 03, 2017, 01:41:22 PM
In a rehearsal today, I was stunned when my MalletKat suddenly played and sustained a note, even though I was nowhere near the keypads. It happened 3 times and it was the same note each time (I think -- I was too startled to really pay attention to the pitch!). The first 2 times, the note cut off by itself after a few seconds. The 3rd time, it stopped only when I touched the instrument case. (After than, I shut it down.)

Does anyone know what causes this --- and more important, how to prevent it from happening again?

Many thanks! 
   Frank

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
Instruments: trapKAT
Maybe run through and train the FSR?  It could have become more sensitive due to environmental changes, like temperature, maybe.

frankinthevillags

more
  • Cool Kat
I'm sorry -- what is "FSR"? (I don't find that in the manual.)
Thanks.

bradfordwetmore

more
  • The Kat's Meow
#3 Re: MalletKat sending untriggered "note on"
November 09, 2017, 07:27:56 PM

FSR is a Force Sensing Resistor.   A FSR will vary its resistance depending on how much pressure is being applied.  (i.e. how strong you hit the pad)  This gets translated into a discrete value that is sent to the sound source via MIDI, which then converts the value into the actual signal (volume).  I'm sure someone with more technical details will correct me, but that's the basics of it.

If you haven't see it already, the video helpdesk has some cool internal videos as to how the MK is put together and items can be replaced.

http://www.alternatemode.com/videohelpdesk.shtml

In particular:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IxR11Q4EkWI

MarioKAT

more
  • Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
Hi Frank
If you ever get false triggering, it just means that you have to raise the thresholds of the pads.
Step on both the Edit footswitch and the sustain two footswitch down.  The screen will say THRESHOLD ADJUST. Simply tap on the FORWARD key a couple of times and the problem will vanish.