Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

eHAT2 FSR pedal trigger (Read 4229 times)

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
Instruments: trapKAT
eHAT2 FSR pedal trigger
April 25, 2019, 03:34:01 PM
Hi all,

Anyone else get one of these?

I got one back in April 2017 and it seems it's just failed after two years -- I can't get a retrain to hold for more than a few seconds now, it's been gradually getting worse over the last few months.  (The hatPedal I had before lasted about 10 years, so I'm a bit disappointed.)

-- Peter

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#1 Re: eHAT2 FSR pedal trigger
April 26, 2019, 04:19:46 PM
And today it's back in the land of the living.  I even seem to have got it more sensitive than ever.  It's very odd.

I even checked the hi-hat response curve in case I'd accidentally changed it - but it was still on 1, and that's what it's on now (having tried the others).

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
#2 Re: eHAT2 FSR pedal trigger
April 27, 2019, 11:44:17 PM
Dude, I swear that the same thing happened to me! (I didn't mention before it cuz I figured everyone would think I was nuts) ;D

so, when I noticed it not working (a while ago)... I kinda 'shelved-it' for a while, and just one day I tried it again and viola...
 ???

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#3 Re: eHAT2 FSR pedal trigger
April 28, 2019, 12:32:42 PM
...and today it's back to being a bit dodgy (not as bad as Thursday).  After switching on, the TrapKAT was hardly responding to the pedal closing and, after retraining, the training data look odd (very narrow range).

Testing:

Start training, manually press the trigger tight closed, tap a pad, release the trigger, tap a pad.  So that's max force range applied.  (If you like, even lift the rubber off the sensor for "open".)

Now, start up a MIDI monitor and start gently pressing down on the trigger.  There's a little bit of "give" before the TrapKAT starts emitting any events in response to pressure on the trigger.  Press all the way down, like when training... and events stop before you get there.

Next, let's try setting the pedal up to control the pressure on the trigger between these two limits.  So, loosen the chain so the pedal footplate drops freely and slide the trigger under (I used a bit of paper to prevent the Velcro catching).  You should start seeing events as the pedal pressure increases.  What we're after here is the pedal hitting the hard stop on the trigger just at the point the TrapKAT stops emitting events - so that'll feel like "fully closed".  Once there, it's a bit fiddly, but you need to get the trigger anchored on the Velcro (*) so that the pedal touches down the same.  Once the "closed" end is sorted, raise the pedal by pulling the chain back up until events stop again, then tighten it.

(*) I'm starting to suspect it's actually the Velcro that's failing rather than anything else, to be honest.  It's as if the trigger is slipping out of its ideal position.  But... it doesn't seem that simple.

If you DO NOT train after this, it works pretty well -- apart from the velocity sensing for CHICK events.  (And probably splash won't work at all, either.)

However, if you train... you'll again find there's a zone both at the open end and closed end where the pedal moves without events being emitted.  This is the bit I don't understand at all.  It's as if you need to "over train" the pedal in order to get a proper response.

510man

more
  • The Kat's Meow
Instruments: none listed
#4 Re: eHAT2 FSR pedal trigger
August 04, 2020, 07:22:36 PM
Hi all,

Anyone else get one of these?

I bought one for a HH on a Pearl Mimic Pro. I was optimistic but I didn't have much luck with getting the setting right. I stopped using it and moved to a Roland FD7 controller. Old but works great and setup was easy to dial in

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
#5 Re: eHAT2 FSR pedal trigger
August 05, 2020, 05:53:18 PM
By May this year, the sensor I had had got to the state where a retrain gave it a range on the the Pad 22 display as low as 0 to 13 ... but variable, sometimes it would train to 0 to 107 immediately after.  So I gave up and got a replacement.  Nowhere in the UK (and couldn't see any on eBay) was doing compatible pedals.

That seems to be behaving at the moment.  The new Velcro is a lot tighter than on the last one, for a start - I think there must have been both horizontal and vertical give going on.  Once trained, it's all seemed well -- it's been a couple of months now without a change (not through cold / damp spells yet, though - only a couple of minor heat waves).  I don't remember the old one ever feeling quite so good.