Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

DAW recommendations WindowsPC & VibKat ?? (Read 8907 times)

Stephenconmor

more
  • Cool Kat
Instruments: malletKAT
Hi all.  I?m trying to get my Vibekat to work with a DAW on my PC.   Frustrated!   I downloaded ProTools First (Free) & got a midi to usb cable.  Will this SW even work with VK / MK? Would a different DAW be better?   Basically I want to play the VK and have the midi data recorded, and then play it back.  Thanks!  Steve

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
What?s the frustrating part?

I have heard (though cannot say for sure) that there is a slightly steep learning curve that comes with Pro Tools...and I think that rumor along with the fact that it?s expensive has been why I stayed away from it...

Is PRo Tools really free?

I found this:
Pro Tools software monthly subscription (one-month license subscription with updates and support) starts at $29.99/month
Pro Tools software annual upgrade plan (12 months of updates and support) starts at $199
Pro Tools software annual subscription (12-month license subscription with updates and support) starts at $299
Perpetual licenses for Pro Tools software (includes 12 months of updates and support) start at $899
If we're reading this right, it looks like you can have Pro Tools for $29.99 a month (though you'll lose access if you stop paying), pay $299 (which actually means $24.92 per month) and get it for a year (though, again, you'll lose access if you don't continue to pay after that), or buy it outright with a year's worth of support for $899 (you'll then have to renew at $199 per year if you want continued support).

My experience has been mostly with Sonar & Ableton.

Cakewalk Sonar is now Cakewalk by BandLab = FREE

Ableton Live (my recommendation) has:
Live 10 Intro = $69

Reaper (I have used also) is also a viable option = $60

Again, what are frustrated with specifically?...and we?ll see if we can help  :)

Tim

Stephenconmor

more
  • Cool Kat
Instruments: malletKAT
Thanks for the advice, Tim. I?ll give ?Cakewalk Sonar is now Cakewalk by BandLab = FREE?
a try. 

To answer your questions, I was using ?pro tools first? which is the free but with limitations version.  Thanks for the $$$ info!

My frustration was a combination of my DAW & midi inexperience And the steep learning curve.  It took me quite a while to get it to record my Vibekat, then the playback: just noise with the app freezing...Ctrl Alt Delete!   But never mind that.  Will download Cakewalk soon!
Thanks,
Steve