Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

Cakewalk changing sounds (setups) (Read 9342 times)

Stephenconmor

more
  • Cool Kat
Instruments: malletKAT
Cakewalk changing sounds (setups)
July 23, 2020, 02:23:17 PM
Hi.  I am recording my VibeKat using Cakewalk on my pc.  There are times when my VibeKat displays a sound/ setup like French Horn, but the connection to my PC (Sometimes) somehow affects the VibeKat to produce another sound, like piano. 
Is there a way to prevent this, or quickly refresh Cakewalk/ VibeKat ?
Thanks,
Steve

gmbydmit2

more
  • Administrator
  • The Kat's Meow
  • I have no response to that!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
#1 Re: Cakewalk changing sounds (setups)
July 28, 2020, 09:45:53 PM
I use(d) Sonar Cakewalk for quite a while...

you created a midi track or audio track or both?

and double checked that the VibeKat was on the same midi channel as the track in Cakewalk?

Tim

Stephenconmor

more
  • Cool Kat
#2 Re: Cakewalk changing sounds (setups)
August 01, 2020, 03:20:35 PM
I?m recording a midi track and 2 audio tracks (2mics at my amp). 

I am not clear about the midi channel designation, that might be the issue. 

I set the input to:
USB midi - midi omni
Output:
MIDIOUT2(SD1000PLUS)

This works for the 1st run through, but if I want to chang the VibeKat sound there?s a problem. 

Thanks,
Steve

gmbydmit

more
  • KAT Diety
  • Go Ahead, make my millenium!
#3 Re: Cakewalk changing sounds (setups)
August 01, 2020, 04:28:09 PM
you said:This works for the 1st run through, but if I want to change the Vibe-Kat sound there's a problem...

When you step thru your VibeKat set-ups, and you find what you want, make sure the VibeKat is sending on the same midi channel as your midi track in Sonar (omni is more for... if you are recording multiple midi sources onto the same track, but I am assuming you are recording that midi from one source specifically (The VibeKat), so set all the midi channels in that signal path to the same midi channel #)...Omni in SONAR is the default, and it's one of those 'set it and forget it' if it works kinda settings...but keep in mind you've got 16 midi channels...

after I record Audio and Midi tracks, I will save them, mute them, and drag them to the side or bottom of your project, out of the way, and create new ones....AND don't forget to save your work  :)

Do you have the midi out from your PC / interface going into the VibeKat midi in?
if so, that COULD be an issue also, and if you don't need it, disconnect it

SD1000plus....??...is that your audio-midi interface? or are you referring to the Ketron Sound Module?

let me know how it goes...
Tim
 :D

Stephenconmor

more
  • Cool Kat
#4 Re: Cakewalk changing sounds (setups)
August 03, 2020, 04:06:13 PM
I think I figured out my issue, but it?s a bit strange. 

First I tried your ideas: changed to midi Chanel 1, disconnected midi cable from the computer to the midi in of the VibeKat...   did not solve the problem but I thought... maybe disconnect other things.   

So I disconnected the VibeKat midi out going to the Ketron SD1000 midi in.   Normally this would silence the VibeKat, but no, I guess because I have the Ketron SD1000 USB port connected to a USB on my laptop.  So apparently there was some conflicting signals ...

So my fix: once I?m ready to work in Cakewalk, I disconnect the midi cable going from the VibeKat to the Ketron SD1000.   Now everything is working fine.   (If I play the VibeKat without the computer, I reconnect that cable - VibeKat to the Ketron SD1000.)

Thanks for your help,
     Steve

gmbydmit2

more
  • Administrator
  • The Kat's Meow
  • I have no response to that!
#5 Re: Cakewalk changing sounds (setups)
September 18, 2020, 03:13:22 PM
some things i noticed (through my haze and bewilderment) is like with most midi devices ESPECIALLY the Alternate Mode ones, MK-KS, DK-KS, Diti, etc

1. the second that connection is made, your KAT device is already sending CC #'s, PC #'s, etc, etc...
to anything in that signal path and some things could change or react weirdly

2. (somewhat related) WHENEVER I power on anything using the Kurzweil Sound chip, i suggest scrolling upon one kit or two and then back down again before performing, just to make sure things are 'straight' (did you ever turn it on and the screen shows one thing and the sounds coming out are completely different like a 'default' piano patch...??)

3. YES, YAY DUDE! ...you figured it out and yeah it sounds like the USB out from the KETRON is causing some sorta MIDI Loop / redundancy kinda thing...

i think you should start from scratch again.
either use:

1.the Ketron to your PC/MAC with only the USB Connection (and only use the MalletKat Midi out to Ketron Midi In only)

OR...what I would probably prefer, because I am old and like making things more difficult  ;D

2. MIDI out of MalletKat/Vibekat to the MIDI IN of the KETRON, then MIDi OUT from the KETRON to your midi IN of your interface, AND the 2 audio outs from the KETRON to two separate Audio ins on your interface.
(yes now you'll have to open up at least two or three tracks in Sonar or Ableton or whatever...record midi to one MIDI track, and one audio track records from KETRON right audio out and another audio track for the KETRON left audio out)

with midi recorded, and you're happy with the performance, then disconnect the MalletKat or Vibekat, and do midi out from Sonar to midi in of the Ketron (or any external or internal sound source) and voila....whatever trips your trigger

let's see how you are coming along when you can....i.e....audio or video that you might share with the forum...
 :D :)
Tim