Alternate Mode KAT Percussion Forum

Alternate Mode Website

News:

Playing a MalletKat in the dark (Read 3181 times)

bradfordwetmore

more
  • The Kat's Meow
Instruments: none listed
Playing a MalletKat in the dark
November 30, 2015, 02:43:50 PM
As you can see in the picture, one of the pits I play is right next to the stage. During blackout seques, seeing the instrument can be a challenge without additional lighting. I know AM sells white overlay stickers (permanent), but this rope light ($6 at Home Depot) works pretty well so thought I'd mention it here. It is a little warm to the touch, but definitely not hot. I got the 6' one, which is just a little longer than a 4 Octave MalletKat. When I'm not using the expanders, it doubles as a percussion table light. If it ever proves to be too bright, it is dimmable using an inline dimming extension cord ($10-15).

I had been using a Mighty Brite Duet (now on the music stand top), but the two lights just weren't illuminating enough for a 3-4 octave MK.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:35:03 AM by gmbydmit2 »

pljones

more
  • KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
Instruments: trapKAT
#1 Re: Playing a MalletKat in the dark
November 30, 2015, 05:37:50 PM
Nope, no sign of an attachment.

gmbydmit2

more
  • Administrator
  • The Kat's Meow
  • I have no response to that!
Instruments: trapKAT, malletKAT, drumKAT, DITI, jamKAT
#2 Re: Playing a MalletKat in the dark
December 04, 2015, 04:17:07 PM
dude!
I am really sorry about not catching that sooner!
Tim

drumthumb

more
#3 Re: Playing a MalletKat in the dark
December 06, 2015, 10:12:12 PM
WOW! aren't you worried about burning your retinas? this might work a little better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M03UDJxvGQA

bradfordwetmore

more
  • The Kat's Meow
#4 Re: Playing a MalletKat in the dark
December 15, 2015, 03:04:12 PM
The picture doesn't show it well, but it's actually less bright than the Mighty Brite Duet on the stand.  It's a yellowish light, so it's a more mellow illumination.  I didn't need the dimmer, as the brightness for my peripheral vision was just about right.

The problem I had with the gooseneck single LEDs is that the illumination from each was only good for an octave or so.  On a 3-4 octave setup, the ends were quite dark.  The rope light was a very low cost solution ($6), compared to $30 or so for each Mighty Brites.   Littlite looks to be even pricier.